Saturday 4 March 2017

Curse and Time

The Curse of Cassini has struck poor old Steve of the Mull It Over blog. After Steve had proudly claimed a few days ago that he'd been "blogging everyday since September 2009", this happens:

Apologies for no blog yesterday. Virgin Media had some unscheduled downtime in my local area.
Ain't that typical? Well, the blog is still worth checking out, if you like music, and there's some horse stuff on there as well if you're into that sort of thing. Steve wrote:
Hopefully a little more traffic will come along now just in time for the Cheltenham Festival.
I'm not sure if that is a music festival or something else that is coming up soon, but I'm sure some readers will know.

My old friend Fizzer also stopped by to say this:
I'm not a trader - I'm a bet and forget man - first because I'm not very good at trading (I prefer considered decisions rather than being in the middle of the action) but also because I don't want to give up the amount of time involved.
I'm reinforced by this comment and video about Warren Buffet and his time.
How well are you investing your time? This week, when Bill Gates was asked by Charlie Rose what was the biggest thing he had learned from Warren Buffett, he said it wasn’t about how he invested his money, but about how he invested his time.
We all have the same 24 hours of time each day. When you begin to value your time more, you waste less of it and invest more of it. As Warren Buffett says: “There’s no way I will be able to buy more time.”
How can you be more effective by being less busy? How can you invest your time better by saying “no” to the wrong things and “yes” to the right things?
“Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money, but you cannot get more time.”
Always got time to read Green All Over though!
It's a short (1:31) video and well worth watching (as is the next one about Necker Island, Richard Branson, and what is important in life). 

Once again, Warren Buffett nails it, and as Fizzer says, the time required for trading at some point becomes too valuable. 

If you're sensible with your profits, and invest them along with savings from your 'proper job', you'll get to a stage where you're earning far more from them than you are from trading, and with zero time spent. Oh, and please, re-invest those dividends. You'll thank me when you're as old as I am.  

I think Fizzer is a little like me in that he sees betting as a hobby and as a challenge, and the "bet and forget" method works well for that.

Perhaps Fizzer will be sharing his thoughts on the upcoming World Baseball Classic? This is the fourth World Cup of Baseball, and the USA has yet to make the final. As my name might suggest, I'll be supporting Italy who were the second best European side in 2013 reaching the second Round with two wins. The Final is actually on my birthday anniversary, which I shall be celebrating in Philadelphia with the lovely Signora Cassini and my son, and while Americans pretend they don't care about this tournament, should they be in the final, you can bet they'll come out of the woodwork and it'll suddenly be hugely important to them!

I appreciate the closing line of Fizzer's comment - some things are worth making time for! 

No comments: