Monday 9 September 2013

Dastardly Doubles

Well we have one contributor, albeit anonymous, but that's ok, to the loss size: win size ratio question with a 65:43 ratio (66%) but from a small sample size of just 120. Not too far off my numbers, but it would be interesting to see more. Thank you anonymous.

Still no official prices for Saturday's Conference games, so the FTL table below is provisional. The positions are extremely unlikely to change, but the numbers for the top boys may adjust slightly.

Scatter Gun couldn't find a winner from the last two matches of the weekend, but he has had a good couple of weeks after a poor start to the season, and at exactly zero, it's a brand new season for him and starting again from third place (up from 10th) and in-the-money.

Skeeve maintains his first place, but worth mentioning is the bad luck he has had with his official double bets, having had six all so far come up empty, or rather come up with one winner and one loser. If your double is going to lose, at least the selections could have the decency of both losing or both winning! In the good old 80s I used to back short priced favourites in certain sports in accumulator bets quite often, but they are not for me any longer.

The NFL season got into full swing last night, with two more games tonight to round off Week One. Not sure how many of you follow John Walsh's NFL selections, but they have been solid over the last few seasons, but he made an average start today with four winners from eight selections and a small loss to date. He does have a couple more selections for tonight though, so that can change.

Not a bad day for trading though, with a couple of games flip-flopping and the successful day was marred only by the New York Giants six turnovers leading to a five point loss to the Dallas Cowboys when I had the Giants getting 3.5 - and the most annoying thing about the loss is that it wasn't on Betfair.

Trading baseball has pretty much died a death this year, with the method of backing the home side once the starting pitcher has been removed proving hard to implement due to the lack of any money in the markets. Occasionally I get lucky, and last night's late game was one such occasion, a result that lifts the 2013 profits over those of 2012, and my best baseball season since 2009 - so I suppose I shouldn't complain too much. And we still have the post-season and World Series to come.

When you see the below on Betfair's homepage, you know the year is almost over:

It'll be Christmas soon. I must be getting old.

2 comments:

CityWodge said...

Hi there,

Sorry for making such an uninspiring first post, but I am more a consumer than contributer being very new to the trading side of things (and damn do I have a long way to go!).

But I was hoping you might be able to indicate where John Walsh's NFL selections are to be found? The NFL is one sport where I feel a bit more confident, but (possibly due to not seeing what is right in front of me) I can't locate where his predictions are published - nor whether they are 'free' or a subs service?

Thanks for any help, and for the most entertaining blog which is a great help to a 'newcomer' such as me.

Paul

CityWodge said...

Hi there,

Sorry for making such an uninspiring first post, but I am more a consumer than contributer being very new to the trading side of things (and damn do I have a long way to go!).

But I was hoping you might be able to indicate where John Walsh's NFL selections are to be found? The NFL is one sport where I feel a bit more confident, but (possibly due to not seeing what is right in front of me) I can't locate where his predictions are published - nor whether they are 'free' or a subs service?

Thanks for any help, and for the most entertaining blog which is a great help to a 'newcomer' such as me.

Paul